Sunday, October 23, 2011

Remembering Mom

It's the one year anniversary of my mom's death.  Although we were never one of those mom-daughter pairs who are the best of friends, we also were never one of those mom-daughter pairs whose relationship is fraught with strife.

We had our arguments over religion, whom I may date, and even how often I washed my hair. But, we also had many fun talks about life in general, and gossip about relatives and friends.

I miss my mom for many reasons: her amazing cooking (she only learned how to cook when we moved to Canada when she 35 years old), her ability to translate Chinese for me, and her interest in our homesteading efforts. I know the pain will lessen with time - it has for me with the death of my wonderful mother-in-law - but I will still miss Mom for those things.

Me and my mom circa 1967 at the Hong Kong airport:

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams