Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Tomato pie

What do you do when you have too many tomatoes to just eat on their own but not enough to can? You make tomato pies (lots of them). 


I had a tomato pie recipe, once upon a time, in a little tomato cookbook, but I didn't like any of the other recipes except for the tomato pie so I ended up giving the book away. When I had to make tomato pie this month, I searched for some recipes online and cobbled together my own, which turned out to be the best tomato pies I ever made.
A friend asked for the recipe, made it, and also gave it two thumbs up, so I thought I'd share. Be forewarned it's not exact.


Tomato Pie


Estimate how many tomatoes you need for X number of pies. You cut the end off each tomato and squeeze the excess fluids out before roughly chopping it.  I also let all the chopped pieces sit in a colander to drain some more.  Tomatoes exude so much moisture!

I made 2 9-inch pies, so I'll give you my approx measurements for 2 pies.



pie crusts - I used the recipe in Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything book

Toss the tomatoes pieces into an appropriately sized mixing bowl with:
1 c mayo
1/2 c grated cheese (I only had provolone; most recipes I saw call for cheddar or gruyere)
1 c breadcrumbs
3 T seasoning salt (I used Jane's Mixed-Up Crazy Salt or whatever it's called, but you can just use regular S&P or whatever)
1 t cornstarch
2 T flour (I don't think it hurts to add more of either cornstarch or flour as that will help it thicken nicely)
3 eggs (I'd use 4 next time)
a handful of roughly chopped basil

Mix thoroughly and pour into crusts.  I didn't pre-cook the crusts, and they held up beautifully because as I said on Twitter, it is The Perfect Crust!  ;D



Bake at 400F for 10 minutes. Turn it down to 350F and bake for another 20 minutes or until the center is not longer jiggly.


I hope you'll try this recipe! Let me know (via the email in the upper right) if you have questions or if you have any comments. 

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams