Monday, January 02, 2012

The food...oh, the food

What better way to start the year than with a post about food?

Hubby made a nice batch of sauerkraut with our cabbages this winter - about 4 gallons' worth. Our cabbage crop doesn't always cooperate, so we're thrilled when it works out.
And I discovered the best banana cream pie recipe in the King Arthur Flour cookbook. I went for a graham cracker pie crust this time and it was perfection in a pan.
How did you start your year?

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams

8 comments:

Epicure68 said...

Both the sauerkraut & banana cream pie look fabulous! Altho I think the pie is missing some chocolate curls on the top. ;)

Robin said...

Pie. Yum.

We started the year by putting in two new garden beds - narrow ones for strawberries. We got all the grass peeled off and the drainage dug on either side, path down the center, beds contructed and place. Just in time for the cold.

It's supposed to be 50 again on Friday and we'll put gravel in the drainage paths and put sand in the beds this weekend. Then a trip to the neighbors to clean out a horse stall. It'll probably be ready to start transplanting by Feb.

TeresaR said...

Monica, see, I need you to live with us so you can put finishing touches on my food. :)

Robin, do you have a time turner so that you accomplish more than us mere mortals in one day? ;) How cool about putting in new garden beds! Hubby takes care of all that so i don't even know when he does it. Can't wait to see what you grow!

Maureen said...

Graham cracker crust is always the way to go IMHO! Yum! Happy New Year!

Sherrie said...

Both look delicious, in very different ways. (I have never eaten banana cream pie. I think I just might need to. Want to make me one?)

TeresaR said...

I'm starting to lean that way, Maureen! And a Happy New Year to you too!

Firefly Mom said...

*sigh* I always end up drooling on my keyboard when you post food photos....

MyKidsEatSquid said...

Lately, I've been using Trader Joe's cat cookies for pie crusts. Do you have a TJ's. The cake cookies are lowfat and they taste just as good as the regular varieties.