Monday, April 09, 2012

M is for...

Mondays. No need to say more for most of you, I'm sure.

And morels.
Hubby and the kids found these on our property this past week, and then we picked about an equal amount on Saturday. We have had one morel on our property in the 13 years we've lived here and then boom! we get a bumper crop all of a sudden. Weird.

It's not bad, but I'd say that chanterelle and shitake are still my favorite mushrooms.

M is also for Mo, our rooster.
The kids named him after Mo Rocco, my favorite "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" panelist, because they thought he sounded rather nasal, just like Mr. Rocca's signature voice. So far, he's a good rooster; I'm crossing my fingers that he won't go psycho like our last rooster did. Or he'll be going into a soup pot.

M is also for my sister, and my best friend, Monica, my dear friend Michelle! And my mom, whom I miss a lot still. **Edited to add my wonderful friend Meg, without whom I'd never have the confidence to homeschool through high school.

So many great things start with M. Who knew?!

What's M to you today?

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams

10 comments:

Sara said...

M is for maybe. I have a lot of maybes on my list, including maybe we'll get some sun if it will ever stop raining. ;) But I like looking at your morels-- very cool that you have some on your property!

Alina said...

Oooh, we've never found any morels at our house, but I know people find them in the woods across the street from us. I may just be a bad finder, though. :) I love all your "m"s! Also, how do you usually prepare shitake mushrooms? I got a bunch but didn't really dig them sauteed. :)

Stacy Davis said...

Meow.

Robin said...

Lily found the first one here today. M is for Mmmmm.

WeldrBrat said...

My...ohhh, my! The secret to finding more Morels... The net bags for produce... you put the mushrooms in those bags when you find them. Shake them a bit. The spores spread. We have folks around East Tennessee that hike into various wooded areas (not the park). And it seems that carrying the mushrooms in mesh bags has helped the reproduction along the trails. And always smart to leave just one!

Name: Holly Bowne said...

Mahna mahna do doo be-do-do!

(Please tell me you know this Muppets song! ;o)

Maureen Sklaroff said...

M is also for Maureen and my nickname, which also happens to be Mo. Those mushrooms look really funky. I've never had one. I'm not big on mushrooms, but I'd love to try those just to say I'd eaten something so funky looking. They kind of look like brains.... Speaking of, I hope your new rooster doesn't go psycho also. Why do you keep a rooster anyway? Do you like your eggs fertilized or do you actually raise chicks also?

Under the Willow said...

I like your "M's"!

For me- M for me this week is material-as in fabric. I have my sewing machine out!

Michelle said...

M for me is Maka. I just learned that one last night. Maka in Lakota means Earth :D

Thank you for making me a special M. That really warms my heart ((hugs)). And double ((hugs)) to both you and Monica. I know how much you miss your mom.

Epicure68 said...

M is for missed, as in I missed this posting for most of the week. M is therefore also for memory, which I seemed to have lost.

You're the bestest friend anyone could ask for, and thanks to one of your other m's, mom for giving me the most wonderful sister ever.

Big hug back to you Michelle.