Monday, June 04, 2012

Chicken and dumplings, East Coast style

When I started dating hubby, his folks used to get chicken and dumplings from a place called Bakers. I had never had chicken and dumplings before meeting hubby, but like most of the foods he introduced me to, it was love at first taste.

Oddly enough, some of them called it "chicken pot pie". It's nothing like any pot pie I know.

Chicken and dumplings can come in a couple of different forms. Some are like cobblers with large biscuits on top, and some are what are known as slippery noodle dumplings.

We even have an old recipe from hubby's maternal grandmother, though we don't use that one:
The recipes I like give amounts. :)

Dumplings for "Chicken and Dumplings"
2 C flour
2 T shortening
2/3 C water
1 t salt

Mix flour and salt. Add shortening and mix in with fingers until crumbly.
Add water a bit at a time until dough forms a ball.

Roll out into about 1/8" thickness and cut into 1" wide by 2" long strips.
Slip the strips into your simmering broth and cook until the noodles are to the chewiness/doneness of your liking.

Have you ever had chicken and dumplings like this?

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams