Monday, December 03, 2012

Confessions of an insomniac

I found this in my Draft Posts folder. It dated back to 2009 but still seemed relevant, so thought I'd publish it. :)
--------------

I don't know which precipitated what (is that grammatically correct?), I have too many rambling thoughts in my head and therefore I can't sleep, or I can't sleep and therefore engage in too many rambling thoughts. Chicken or egg? It's the ouroboros (the vicious circle definition) of my life. It's the curse of being introspective.

So what sorts of thoughts go through my head?

- the nature of friendship (dh tells me to write a book about it; I think that's going to be his standard response now because I have too many things to prattle on to him about)

- the myopicness of human perception

- why chickens are so strange

- I know exactly when I'm being snubbed

- knee-jerk reactions that make no sense

- designs for various things: cards, jewelry, soaps, hydraulic systems (just kidding!)

Amended to add: These days, I also have story lines running through my head, or I'm trying to work through a particular sticky plot problem. It must have taken me over an hour to fall asleep last night. On the bright side, once I'm asleep, I pretty much stay asleep.

What about you? Do you have trouble falling asleep due to too many thoughts in your head? What do you think about when you're thinking too much? ;)

"Happiness depends upon ourselves." ~ Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)