Monday, January 07, 2013

Not-a-resolutions post

So, just as I feared, I didn't do either of the things I said in a December 2011 post that I would do for the 2012 year (write stories based on The Skeptic's Dictionary entries and do a bird sketch each day). Hubby didn't end up eating Vegemite every day either, though he probably logged in an impressive 340 days of it, thanks to my baking bread pretty much every other day.
My stalled 2012 resolution
What I did accomplish, though I can't find the post where I talked about it, was posting one blog post every week. I used to use the "feast or famine" method of blog posting which, while it suited my schedule, was horrible for readers who wouldn't know when to expect my posts (because, after all, I know people live for reading my blog...HAH!).

Now, I use the Blogger Schedule method: write in advance whenever I have time, and schedule those posts for future dates. Mind you, that makes for many untimely posts - not every important date or holiday falls on a Monday when I happen to post?! Who knew? - but people go to other sources, not my insignificant blog, for timely news anyway.

I started blogging as a sort of online diary where I can add photos easily and where my sister can see what my family and I are up to since we're separated by thousands of miles. I hadn't expected to end up with 124, at last count, followers. And, I want to add, I *heart* you all! Yet another unanticipated but happy outcome of blogging is that I've made some good friends through this venue. May I repeat, "I *heart* you all!"?

I thought long and hard about it and decided that I really have no resolutions for this year. And even if I did, I probably won't post it here. I have learned that publicly humiliating myself by letting you know that I don't keep my New Year's Resolutions doesn't help to spur me to keep them any better than not letting you know. The only thing that seems to work for me is hard deadlines imposed by someone else.

But hey, it's all good because apparently this blog has helped me make friends and learn something about myself. What more can a gal ask for (I've been asking for a new brain and body for a while but that hasn't happened)? All I'm going to say about resolutions is that I will continue to write. How's that for vague?

How/why did you get started with blogging? Are you still doing it for the same reason(s)? Any resolutions you care to share with me so that I can laugh at with you at the end of the year when you don't accomplish them? ;D

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams