Monday, March 11, 2013

Oatmeal Cake

You can tell when I don't have much to write about in my boring (I like it that way!) life...and have been baking too much instead: I post recipes. Here's a favorite of mine. One of hubby's aunts made this for his dad when his dad was convalescing once and we all liked it a lot. It doesn't look glamorous, but tastes tons better than it looks.

Oatmeal Cake


Preheat oven to 350
grease and flour a 9x13 cake pan

Cake: 
1 1/4 C boiling water
Add 1 C quick oats to water
Set aside and cool to lukewarm
Put oats in mixer bowl

Add:
1/2 C butter or shortening
1 t vanilla
2 eggs
1 C brown sugar
1 C white sugar
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt

Mix and cream

Add 1 1/2 C flour and 1 t baking soda

Bake for 30-35 minutes

Baked but naked.
Topping: start about 15 minutes after cake is in the oven and have ready to spoon over hot cake
6 T butter
1 C flaked coconut
1 C chopped nuts
2/3 C brown sugar
1/4 C evaporated milk
1 t vanilla

The topping in progress.
Heat everything on low just enough to dissolve sugar and butter
Do NOT let boil
Spoon over hot cake

I use half the amt of sugar called for in the cake, but close to the full amountt for the topping.

The final cake in all its gooey glory!

Because it has oatmeal, I feel like we can eat it for breakfast...and we do. Dessert breakfasts are the best!

p.s. I had leftover cooked steel-cut oats I had to use up and it worked great in here in place of the rolled oats and hot water mixture.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams