Friday, March 15, 2013

Susanna Hill's Spring Story Contest

If you have little ones who love picture books or are a picture book writer yourself and you've not been over to Susanna Hill's blog yet, you are missing out! Susanna is the author of some really fun picture books, like Punxsutawney Phyllis, and is an amazing teacher of writing children't lit too.

Plus, she runs these fabulous writing contest with great prizes! This time, the topic is Spring. The rules are in her blog post.


So today's post (which will be in lieu of Monday's post) is an entry for her contest. 

~~~~~

What Henry Knew (237 words) 


Henry spotted snowdrops unfurling their leaves and bobbing their little white heads.

“Look, Pappy,” he said to his grandfather. “Spring is here!”

Pappy scratched his white-as-snowdrops head. “I don’t know, Henry,” he said. “Sniff the air; does it smell like spring yet?”

Henry took a deep breath. “I smell snowy clouds and drippy icicles,” he said.

Pappy nodded. “Me, too.”

“Not spring yet,” said Henry.

The next morning, Henry awoke to a light snow covering everything, including the brave little snowdrops that had tried to bloom yesterday.

But the sun came out and melted the snow. Henry spied some pointy crocus leaves piercing the soil.

“Look, Pappy,” he said to his grandfather. “Spring is here!”

“I don’t know, Henry,” said Pappy. “Does it smell like spring yet?”

Henry took a deep breath. “I smell frosty air and frozen ponds.”

Pappy nodded. “Me, too.”

“Still not spring yet,” said Henry.

The next morning, Henry awoke to a frosted yard and icy plants. The crocus tips sparkled like glass.

But the sun came out and thawed the frost. Henry saw the golden glint of daffodils up by the house.

“Look, Pappy,” he said to his grandfather. “Spring is here!”

“I don’t know, Henry,” said Pappy. “Does it smell like spring yet?”

Henry took a deep breath. “I smell wriggly worms and muddy grass.”

Pappy smiled. “Me, too. And look, there’s a grape hyacinth!”

Henry knew Spring was really here!

~~~~~


"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams