Monday, April 08, 2013

The end of an era...

...sure feels like it to me, anyway.

My father-in-law passed away Monday, April 2nd. He had a bad bout of pneumonia but we had high hopes that he'd pull through because he had had many near-death experiences in the span of his 86 years, and always survived when medical professionals were certain he'd not make it.

I couldn't have asked for a better FIL. He accepted me into the family before anyone else did (possibly because I fell in love with his homemade sauerkraut at first bite).

One thing that we have bonded over recently is our love of writing. The last thing I got to tell him before he died was about my winning Susanna Hill's "in Just - spring" contest. He wanted me to give him a print out of the story next time we stopped in to see him, but he died 2 days later and I never got to share it with him.

There are so many good and funny stories I could tell you about him, but I'll wait for an anniversary of his death. Right now, we're still too sad and have too many funeral things to deal with.
My FIL in the center, surrounded his two sisters, his brother (left) and his favorite nephew

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams