Monday, September 09, 2013

Michigan vacation

Hubby has long pined to vacation in the Porcupine Mountains area of the Upper Peninsula, MI, ever since he read about the primitive cabins there in the book, Porcupine Wilderness Journals.

My idea of a vacation is to have indoor plumbing and wifi. You can see how our vacation plans weren't going to match up.

Turns out, there are other insane people who think like hubby, and the primitive cabins were all booked up in the time that we could go on vacation. So, hubby ended up reserving a pretty nice, NON-primitive cabin from Mountain View Lodges.

Lured by the promise of indoor plumbing, I went with the guys. Was a lovely vacation after all.  The guys did day long hikes while I stayed at the cabin.  I'll bore you with a few gratuitous photos.
By the shore of Lake Superior
On the escarpment in the Porcupine Mountains.
Learning about the mining history of the area.
On the observation deck at Summit Peak.
Smithsonian Gull (a.k.a. American Herring Gull)
Stretch of beach outside the cabin.
The cabin we stayed in.
Can't go to the U.P. without having a pastie from Muldoon's!
Be grateful I held back and only posted a handful of photos and not the 300 plants/trees photos that Son1 took!

Did you have a chance to get away for a bit this summer? Where did you go and did it live up to your expectations?

Next week, I'll be posting on Sunday instead of Monday for a special event instigated by Catherine Johnson.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams