Monday, November 25, 2013

Missing Mom

(with apologies to Cynthia Rylant and her Newberry winning book...)

Has it really been three years since Mom passed away? I still expect to get a call from her sometimes. And then when I need a question about my heritage answered - whether it be how to cook a certain food or about some ancient cultural fairy tale, that's when I really miss her.
Me and Mom, circa 1967, at the Hong Kong airport.
Mom would have turned 76 this November 29th. Wish I could wish her a happy birthday in person.

She and my mother-in-law were not ready to go; they both had a million things left on their to-do lists. They weren't the type to sit around and watch TV all day. I know people their age who have little to live for but that wasn't my mom or MIL. It's sad when those who still had so much to live for still die young.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams