Friday, April 25, 2014

Susanna made me do it

As if my month wasn't busy enough, Susanna Hill decided to throw in an illustration contest. And because she is so danged sweet, I couldn't say no.

The rules of her "The First Ever Pretty Much World Famous Illustration Contest for Children's Illustrators!!!" say to illustrate a mock cover for one of the winning stories from her March Madness Fractured Fairy Tales Writing Contest.

I couldn't decide which story to choose to illustrate (and was too lazy to think deeply about it), so I went to my good buddy, Random.org, and had it choose a number for me...this number turned out to correspond to the story "The Jackrabbit Who Cried Gila Monster" by Elliah Terry (edited to note that I just realized I forgot to put her name on the cover art...sorry!).

Here's my rough for how I pictured the cover to look like:
And this is the final product:
I tried to make the lettering look like 2x4s nailed together...you'll have to click on the image to get a better view of that.

Since I'm posting this on Friday instead of Monday, I will be taking a blogging day off on Monday...to hopefully finish the writing I have to do. :)

Hope on over to Susanna's blog to see the other entries in this contest, and have a great weekend!

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams