Monday, June 02, 2014

My Favorite Scene - A Home For Bird

Good gravy! Is it June already? If it's My Favorite Scene, it must be Belgium...or the start of a new month. (Anyone know the movie I referred to?)

I really must find a microphone to attach to me so that the sound comes out better. Right now, I'm using the built-in microphone on the laptop and it doesn't capture my voice very well (since I stopped singing 20 or so years ago, I've stopped practicing projecting my voice). But I didn't want to get any closer to the computer to spare you the pain of seeing my face up close and personal. Instead, I've included the transcript (below) of the video so you can actually read it instead of watching me! :) Yes, you may thank me; and, yes, you may thank me in the form of gelato or fried chicken.

Transcript:

Hi, this is June’s My Favorite Scene, and I’m going to talk about a book called A Home for Bird, by the same author of “A Sick Day for Amos McGee” which I happened to be really fond of too; I just think that this book is just a little bit better. And you can tell me what you think!

One of my favorite scenes is actually the opening scene, and I’ll read it to you:

Vernon was out foraging for interesting things when he found bird.
“Are you okay?” asked Vernon.
Bird said nothing.
“Are you lost?”
Bird said nothing.
“You are welcome to join me,” said Vernon.

Vernon introduced Bird to his friends.
“Bird,” said Vernon, “meet Skunk and Porcupine.”
Bird said nothing.
“Bird is shy,” said Vernon, “but also a very good listener.”

Isn’t this a great start to the story? I hope you’ll borrow it from the library or find it at a bookstore, and check out the rest of it. Thanks! 

So there ya have it. Happy Monday and happy June...go forth and fill it with a good book or forty!

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams