Monday, November 03, 2014

My Favorite Scene - a Chinese poem

I've been on a "get in touch with my heritage" kick lately. It's too bad my mom isn't alive to appreciate it. Some Chinese poems that I used to recite have been running through my head. And then for the #inktober sketching challenge, I chose to run with a Chinese theme. Like so:
Because I've got my heritage on my mind, I decided to do a reading of one of my favorite poems (and I have many) for the My Favorite Scene segment.
Okay, I had typed and uploaded everything above, but then....

You ever have one of those days where one minute, you're done with grade four and you have all summer to just sit around and read and you're just champing at the bit to head to the library and the summer is stretching endlessly ahead of you, and then the next minute, you are fifty years old and have over-committed yourself and for some strange reason, the earth seems to be rotating faster because time seems to be flying by, breaking the sound barrier?

*taking deep breath after longest run-on sentence ever*

I have. I'm having one of those days. Soooo, I did not get to translating the poem like I promised above. I will just tell you that it says something about the setting moon, calling crows, and frost filling the sky. And also something about the freezing weather outside of city of Gouzhou and the ringing of the midnight bell reaching the guest boat. Trust me, it's beautiful in Chinese.

Next week, a recipe!

Do you speak another language? Do you read poetry in a different language? Want to share one with me?

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams