Monday, March 30, 2015

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, a recipe

I could have sworn I had posted this recipe before, but I couldn't find it here when a friend asked me for the recipe. It is one of our favorite cookies, so I thought you might all enjoy it, too. 
Oatmeal Whatever-Chip-You-Want Cookie

based on Hilary Clinton’s winning recipe in the bake-off with Barbara Bush

1.5 C unsifted AP flour
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
1 C solid veg shortening
½ C granulated sugar [I use ¼ C]
1 C firmly packed light brown sugar [I throw in ½ C of whatever brown sugar I have on hand]
1 t vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 C old fashioned rolled oats
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chip, or butterscotch chips, or cappuccino chips, or some combination thereof (adjusting for sugar level)
pre-baking
Preheat oven to 350F
Combine flour, salt, and baking soda; set aside.
Beat together shortening, sugars, and vanilla until creamy.
Add eggs, beating until light and fluffy.
Gradually beat in flour mixture and rolled oats [I alternate ¼ of each at a time].
Stir in chips.
Drop batter by well-rounded teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets.
Bake 8-10 minutes until done [in my oven, I bake 14 minutes and the cookies are drier and crunchier, the way we like them].
Cool on sheets for 2 minutes before placing on rack for further cooling.

Makes about 7.5 dozen cookies


"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams