Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A good man...is not hard to find

It's amazing how a whole day can zoom by with just fussing with the woodstove, baking muffins and bread, doing Spanish lessons with the kids, and checking e-mail. But here we are...after dinner already.

So, who's a good man (besides Charlie Brown)? A certain Mr. Breen. I had the pleasure of doing some freelance data entry work for him in the 2 months between the time I quit my job as a research associate for a psychology professor and giving birth to ds#1. He is not only a super nice fellow, but he is the compassionate brains behind The Hunger Site, and, now, the Free Rice site.

I'd heard about Free Rice from a couple of different sources and thought it a nifty idea for helping those who aren't fortunate enough to always have food at every meal. But, I didn't realize it was the brainchild of John Breen until I read the article in Bloom magazine.

I find it heartening and inspirational that he spends his creative energy thinking up ways to save the world instead of trying to amass gobs of money. I know I can certainly stand to learn something about compassion from him and that the world would be a better place if there were more people like him.

"Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives." ~ William James (1842 - 1910)