Thursday, May 22, 2008

Thursday Thirteen

You know how there's been a whole spate of books on X number of places one needs to visit before you die, or turn 12, or turn 50, etc, these days? Even Smithsonian Magazine had a feature on that not too long ago. Now, I don't usually have lemming type tendencies, but since I'm also too brain-dead to think of anything more clever, I'm going to go with the theme.

Below are 13 places I've either been to and loved or really want to go (if someone invents the teleporter and I don't have to fly there). I apologize in advance for quality of the photos. I'd taken all of the original photos from at least 16 years ago (some are from 22 years ago), and since my scanner is not attached to this computer (don't ask; long sordid story), I had to take photos of the original photos, and, well, the quality kinda sucks. :}

1) The Acropolis. Summer of '86, baby! If I were Shirley MacLaine, I'd say that I must have been a Greek maiden in a previous life. I don't believe in previous lives, but I can't explain the affinity I feel for that place and Greece in general.2) The Sphinx. Wanna go, wanna go, wanna go. I always think of the Asterix & Obelix cartoon where Obelix knocks the nose off the Sphinx when he was climbing the face of it.

3) The Great Wall of China. Had to go see my heritage, after all.4) The Taj Mahal. How romantic is that? I'm not a romantic, but I do appreciate cool architecture, especially cool architecture involving a pool! Maybe some day, I'll get to India.

5) The Badlands. Not really sure why I wanted to go there; maybe it's the name that appeals to my inner rebel? It was as spectacular as I thought it would be.

6) Bryce Canyon. Mars on Earth. That's really the best description I have of it. I'd go again in a heartbeat. We were there in '92, and almost took the kids in '05, but the car decided to have a hissy fit on our way home from Vancouver. Next cross-country drive, maybe. We have to take the kids because it's the namesake of ds#1. (There's dh in the corner...16 years younger than he is now.)

7) Pompeii. Simply amazing. I could almost feel the dead people's pain while standing in the eerie excavated town.
8) The Hanging Gardens of Babylon. Dream on, honey.

9) Leonardo da Vinci's studio...while he was still alive, and me fully-clothed of course. Another dream.

10) Attu Island, Alaska. It's all about the birds. Try reading The Big Year by Mark Obmascik

11) Machu Pichu. Archeology in the New World. What more can I say?

12) Petra. The Smithsonian magazine had a good article on this stone city. It's a good mystery.

13) The Andromeda Galaxy. I had a dream when in my youth of becoming an astronaut and taking on a one way mission to our sister galaxy. Alas, I'm too short and not good enough in math or physics to become an astronaut.

Join the Thursday Thirteen fun! Visit other Thursday Thirteeners at:
http://thursdaythirteen.com/2008/05/21/thursday-thirteen-146th-edition/
and let the TTers know you're participating by leaving the link to your Thirteen in your comment.

"To accomplish great things, we must dream as well as act." ~ Anatole France (1844 - 1924)