Sunday, February 01, 2009

Peanut Butter "Balls"

I apologize I didn't get around to this sooner. It was a busier weekend than most, and I'm still behind. I'll try and visit people's blogs tomorrow. :)

The peanut butter balls I made were very simple and I didn't use a recipe, but here's how I made them.

Start with natural peanut butter - the kind without partially hydrogenated oil because that makes the pb too soft to handle. I used the pb that was ground fresh at our local health food co-op...about 1 to 1.5 cups of it.

If you get the regular, sweetened pb, then you can skip this next step where I sweetened the pb. Do it to taste...and I do mean taste it after adding a bit of sugar and keep adding until it's sweet enough that you'd be happy to eat it on its own like candy.

If the pb has gotten a bit soft, put it in the fridge to harden up.

Scoop out about a 1/2 teaspoon of sweetened pb and roll it into a ball (I just do it in my palms...quickly because it can get soft easily). Place on a cookie sheet (or jelly roll pan) lined with parchment paper. Repeat until every bit of pb is rolled up.

Melt chocolate either in double boiler or in the microwave. I used a combination of milk chocolate and dark semisweet chocolate, but you can sub in any kind you like.

Dip the pb balls into the melted chocolate and then place coated pb balls back onto parchment paper. Stick in fridge to firm up, and then they're ready to eat!

"He is happiest, be he king or peasant, who finds peace in his home." ~ Johann von Goethe