Thursday, October 29, 2009

Butter Tart Squares


My apologies for not getting this out earlier, as I'd promised Allison. My satellite internet connection is acting up (again...gee, hard to believe).

Butter Tart Squares
from Treats to Remember - UBC cookbook – compiled by Christine Samson and Allen Leong

Base:
½ C butter (125 mL)
1 C all-purpose flour (250 mL)
2 T brown sugar (30 mL)

Filling:
2 large eggs, beaten
1 ½ C brown sugar (375 mL)
½ C quick-cooking oats (125 mL)
½ t baking powder (2 mL)
1/4 t salt (1 mL)
1 t vanilla (5 mL)
½ C chopped walnuts (125 mL)

Base:
1. Preheat oven to 350F (180C)
2. Mix together flour and brown sugar. Cut butter into the flour and brown sugar until crumbly.
3. Press mixture into a buttered 9 inch (22cm) square pan and bake for 15 minutes.

Filling:
1. Combine all ingredients well and pour this mixture over the baked base.
2. Return to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool before cutting into squares.

Enjoy!!

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams