Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Another piled-up, jumbled mess of a blog post

...in other words, my usual. ;)

It was supposed to be a pretty busy week this week, with the Teen Book Club on Monday, playdate on Tuesday, Spanish class, ds#1's guitar lesson, and LEGO Club on Wednesday, biology labs on Thursday, and ceramics on Friday, but ds#1 inconveniently (or is it conveniently?) caught something and started showing symptoms on Sunday, so we had to cancel activities for Monday and Tuesday (in case he was infectious, and so that he could recuperate).

Since I have a 2 day reprieve, I'm going to get cracking on 1) blogging - reading and writing, 2) making paper for an order, and 3) reading the biology textbook because I'm waaay behind.

A quick look at the weeks past...this is one of the pretty leaf dishes that we made last month. This one is made by ds#2, my 11 year old. I love the color and used it for our Artfire store banner.I made a butter tart square a couple of weeks ago, and it was so tasty, I made it again when Meg (Get In, Hang On) visited on Saturday:
Last, last Friday, I finally had a free day with no obligations and could lounge around in my hand-knit chitin socks and read:
We finally got around to making bath fizzies that Anne-Marie (Soap and the Finer Things in Life) showed how to do last year. Here's ds#1 spritzing with rubbing alcohol while I mixed:
The mixture crammed into the molds:
We waited too long to pop them out so some of the fizzies broke while we were getting them out. These ones managed to survive, and are kind of cute!
We had the last watermelon from our garden a couple of weeks ago. It was surprisingly tasty for a late season melon.
I made pie crusts for quiche last, last weekend using the recipe in How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. It was really delish!
I do love my decorative edges. Alas, this is the only one I know how to do:
We've been harvesting beet greens for our salads. Is this not a beauty?
And also beeeeyoootiful is our broccoli - and sweet and tasty too:
Some cool nights have forced us to cover some crops with row covers. See the frost on the cabbage plants?
Sunrise over the covered crops...another day on the homestead begins:
As you may have noticed, the trees are in their lovely colors now (and rapidly fading). How are the colors where you are?

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams