Monday, February 01, 2010

The best cake ever!

Ds#1 turned 14 today and requested the following cake, which is one of the most delicious cakes we've ever had. The kids request this one a lot for their birthdays.

Walnut Mocha Torte

2 C walnuts or pecans, toasted
2 T AP flour
2.5 t baking powder
4 eggs
3/4 C sugar
1 recipe Mocha Frosting (see below)

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease the bottoms of 2 8x1.5" round cake pans. Line pans with waxed paper; grease and lightly flour pans. Set pans aside. In a medium bowl, combine nuts, flour, and baking powder; set aside.

2. In a blender or food processor, combine eggs and sugar. Cover and blend or process until smooth, stopping and scraping sides as necessary. Add nut mixture. Cover and blend/process until smooth. Spread batter evenly in the prepared pans.

3. Bake for 20 to 25 mins or until cakes spring back when lightly touched (centers may dip slightly). Cool cake layers on wire racks for 10 mins. Remove cake layers from pans. Cool thoroughly on wire racks. Spread Mocha Frosting on each layer; stack layers. Loosely cover and chill cake for 2 to 24 hours. If desired, top with chocolate curls.

Mocha Frosting:
In a chilled mixing bowl, dissolve 1 t instant coffee crystals in 1 C whipping cream. Add 1/3 C sugar, 1/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder, and 1/2 t vanilla to cream mixture. Beat with electric mixture on medium speed just until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams

25 comments:

Heather said...

yay, Happy Birthday to your son! That cake looks and sounds delicious!

cake said...

yes. that looks absolutely wonderful.

TeresaR said...

Heather, thank you! It was soooo good, the kids and I wanted to go back for seconds.

Cake, I'm the worst decorator so it's not as pretty as it could be, but it's ok coz ds doesn't care and it all goes down the same. ;)

Burnt Mill Candles and Soap said...

yum cake!!!!

Maureen said...

Happy Birthday to your son! The years fly by don't they? I'll have to try that recipe as my hubby loves mocha and walnuts (I'm weird and hate anything that has even the slightest bit of a coffee taste to tit). Anyway, I'm always on the lookout for recipes that I can make for Father's Day and his birthday. He likes so many more foods than I do that I try to cook him special treats that I wouldn't eat for those two days (actually I'll cook them other days too, but he usually prefers that I don't as his waist line can't afford it).

Diane said...

Happy birthday to your son - the years just fly by don't they?
That cake looks delicious, I love the combination of coffee and walnuts (in a cake). When the diet is over....

The Blonde Duck said...

Happy birthday! What a fabulous cake!

Joanna said...

Happy birthday to your son, Mrs. T!
Yummo cake, too. mmmmm.

TeresaR said...

Misty, you should try making this one; you'll love it!

Maureen, he'll definitely love this one; and it's a really reliable recipe that never fails. :)

Diane, one nice thing about this cake is that it's pretty low in sugar as cakes go. I reduce the amt in the cake to 2/3 and it still tastes good!

Blonde Duck, thanks and yes, it is! =)

Joanna, if you lived next door, I'd share it with you! Thanks for the bday wishes too. :)

Anne-Marie said...

This looks delicious! I think I might start with a spoonful of the mocha frosting! Yum!

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday to your young man!! and your cake looks delicious! Our baby will turn 3 in 2 days. She is just 11 years younger than your baby ;) If I'm not too intimidated to make it I'd bet the family would enjoy this mocha cake for the birthday celebration.

TeresaR said...

Anne-Marie, the mocha frosting is the best part of the cake, yes!

Michelle, it's an incredibly easy recipe...the blender or food processor does most of the work! :)

Amber said...

Oh that cake sounds SO GOOD!!! I will have to try that soon.

Allison said...

yum.yum.and.double.yum.!!!

TeresaR said...

Amber and Allison, go forth and make the cake! You won't regret it. =)

Grace said...

Hope DS#1 realizes how lucky he is. This looks and sounds delicious!

Name: Holly Bowne said...

Mmmm...that does look scrumptious. Unfortunately, we have a nut allergy in our home, so alas, I won't be able to make that cake. But it sure is pretty to look at. ;o)

Stace said...

You make me happy and I've given you an award if you'd like to stop by and pick it up.

Under the Willow said...

Wow!!! That cake looks wonderful!

Firefly mom said...

Oooh *drool, drool* that looks so yummy! I may have to try it out with some GF flours.

Alli said...

YUM! It is definitely on my list of cakes to make!

TeresaR said...

G, I don't know that ds#1 fully appreciates it. Most of us don't realize how lucky we are until we lose whatever it was that made our lives so nice. :}

Holly, that is really too bad about your nut allergy; flour you can sub in anything, but with nuts being the dominant ingredient, there really is no substitute. Darn!

Stace, thanks so much for the award! I'll try and post about it soon.

Carrie, thanks! We ate the last of it yesterday...yummmm.

Firefly Mom, it's totally doable subbing in GF flour for this. Hope you like it!

TeresaR said...

Alli, I missed your comment in transit...you'll love this cake! I'm still waiting for the opportunity to make (or convince dh to make) your tortierre.

Annie said...

one word. Yum.

Amy said...

That cake looks delicious. Hope your son had a happy birthday.