Monday, March 15, 2010

The hardest part of...anything...is letting go

I'd been thinking a lot, on and off, that I make life much more complex for myself than it needs to be - Dh reminds me that often too - like taking on an extra couple of blogs and extra hobbies.

But, I believe this recent identity theft incident, eating up my spare time and brain cells, may prove to be the impetus that gets me to really simply and de-stress my life.

Letting go will encompass several important areas:
1) home - this will include major de-cluttering; donating books, CD-ROMs, etc., to the library instead of trying to sell them on Half.com

2) mind - I need to forget old notions that just may not apply. For example, I caught myself thinking, "damn, I just wasted a whole weekend," and was starting to feel depressed, but I caught myself in time. I asked myself, "am I feeling happy? Did I get enough sleep? Have I cleaned bathrooms like I usually do?" The answers were "yes" all around. So, I've not really wasted the weekend if I'm still at peace with myself and I'm happy.

2) extraneous - no more picking up new hobbies and trying to pursue things that lead to dead ends.

Speaking of ends, we picked the last of the mache from the greenhouse. It made a beautiful salad (here it is, pre-washing).The meal itself was pretty darned tasty too...organic hotdogs on homemade buns. Dh made a cauliflower dish using Mark Bittman's Cauliflower with Garlic and Anchovies recipe in his How to Cook Everything book; it was delish.Letting go: it's a little sad, but it'll all lead to a lighter place: lighter home, lighter heart, lighter mind.

Do you have something you need to let go of? Old textbooks that you'll never use again? A grudge? Or an ugly something you inherited?

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams