Saturday, April 03, 2010

More on gardening

"Topsoil is an important natural resource that we have been very careless with, and about 70 gigatons of topsoil are lost each year due to inefficient agricultural methods." ~ Michael Wysession, How the Earth Works from The Teaching Company (emphasis mine)

The boys and I watch educational videos if we're at home during the lunchtime. Currently, we're watching How the Earth Works, and I was astounded by the above fact the instructor presented. For many years now, whenever we drove by a sign that said "Topsoil for Sale", dh always shook his head and said, "they're selling their souls." He's so right.

But on to a more cheerful gardening topic, the really nice seed company, Hometown Seeds, that I have on my sidebar, gave me some lovely sample seeds for having their logo on my blog. Click on photo below to see what all the seeds are.Look at the lovely variety of shapes and sizes of all the seeds! Nature creates the best works of art.
A close-up of the very cool lettuce seeds:
But, given how lame my reviews tend to be, which is why I don't have a blog devoted to reviews, I will refer you to the always gorgeous, always readable Amber's Ambry blog for her terrific post on Hometown Seeds.

I can't wait to try out some of these seeds though...or, more correctly, I can't wait for dh to try out some of these seeds!

By the way, our asparagus are poking out!!! :)

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams