Friday, April 29, 2011

Projects

Remember my resolution to complete a knitting and sewing project each every couple of months?  Well, I didn't quite accomplish my second knitting project for April because, guess what? I learned (or re-learned, more accurately, since I first learned in grade three) how to crochet!  I took a class from the very creative Robin at one of my favorite local stores, Yarns Unlimited.

So, I'm half way through a pair of socks for ds#2 but I've also started on a crochet project that is waaaaay over my head.  This is how much I've done so far:


And this is what I'm trying to make (from the Amazing Crochet Lace book by Doris Chan).

Why, yes, I was dropped on my head a couple of times as a baby; why did you ask?

Close-up of the funky yarn:


I'm not nearly as ambitious on the sewing front.  I made a gift bag for one of my kids' dear friends.  Sam's birthday is coming up and we're giving him some Star Wars themed gifts in this Star Wars themed bag that I made.  Bet you can't guess what Sam likes.


Speaking of sewing, the one piece of equipment...well, two, really...that I am very glad I bought are the rotary mat and rotary cutter.  These have made cutting fabric so much easier.  The photo below shows what I used to trim the sleeves on my FIL's shirt.  He wore the elbow out and asked if I could turn it into a short-sleeve shirt.  Piece of cake with my rotary mat and cutter!



"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams