Monday, November 07, 2011

Chemistry - it's what life is about

Chemistry is on my mind a lot lately since I'm running a high school chem lab course for my kids (using the Prentice Hall text by Wilbraham, Staley, Matta, and Waterman and the accompanying Small Scale Chemistry Labs manual that I bought from my friend Meg (Get In, Hang On), to whom I'm forever grateful for her guidance).

To go with the course, we're also watching the excellent High School Chemistry series with Frank Cardulla as the instructor from The Great Courses.

I actually meant to post this during National Chemistry Week, which I thought was in November. I totally missed it because, this year, NCW was back in October. Go figure.

I never liked chemistry much when I took it in high school and university, but now, re-learning it with my kids, I discovered that I love it!  Homschooling is so cool that way. On my own, I never would have re-learned chemistry and found out just how much I enjoy it.

And in case you think chemistry is dry and dull, here are a couple of really funny chemistry jokes:

Water versus....

and a version of the sulfuric acid joke from a commenter on this site: http://www.pepysdiary.com/archive/1663/07/05/


Sir John Minnes was a chemist…Sir John is no more.
For what he thought was H20…
Was H2SO4…

Heh heh...morbid but funny.

So if you hated chemistry when you were growing up, I highly recommend you re-learn it! You may be pleasantly surprised.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams