Monday, December 24, 2012

Words, glorious words...

Even if I weren't a writer, I'd still be a voracious reader who appreciates fine writing wherever I encounter it. But since I am a writer, and I have a blog, my weapon of choice, I thought it would be fun, maybe once a month, to share snippets of writing with you that I find to be exemplary in some way.

This month, I'd like to share a paragraph from the December 2012 issues of The Smithsonian magazine.  In an article on the famed neurologist, Oliver Sacks, Ron Rosenbaum writes:

"I must admit that I've always felt a little fearful just contemplating Sacks' books. The panoply of things that can go frighteningly wrong with the brain makes you feel you are just one dodgy neuron away from appearing in Sacks' next book."

That sums up, in a lovely way (I think I'm enamored with the word "dodgy" for the moment), the sentiment that, there, but for the random whims of the universe, go I. The only book I want to be featured in is, perhaps, "Famous Writers Who Didn't Have Messed-up Lives." ;)

What about you? Read any moving passages, words, or books lately?

I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday season, and Merry Christmas to those who celebrate Christmas!

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams