Monday, April 29, 2013

Oh, oh, pomelo!

Growing up in Hong Kong, the pomelo (Citrus maxima), sometimes spelled "pummelo," was my absolute favorite fruit among the tons of tropical fruits I could choose from. The book "Edible: An Illustrated Guide to the World's Food Plants" says it's greenish yellow in color, but I rarely see them in that color. Their specific (i.e. species) name is not maxima for nothing though. See how huge it is next to a grapefruit, which usually looks large.
Pomelo (left) and its puny grapefruit friend
The skin is seriously thick:
Mom used to cook the skin in a pork dish. It was always kind of bitter, but I liked it.
A wedge of pomelo in Son1's large hands
Our health food co-op recently started carrying pomelos so we had to buy some. They are every bit as tasty as I remembered them. If you get a chance to buy one, I recommend you try one! (And, no, I didn't write that line because it's National Poetry Month.)

What's your favorite fruit?

Next weekend, I'm going to the Wild, Wild Mid-West SCBWI Conference and meeting up with old and new friends! I think I may be posting my usual Monday post on Tuesday instead as I don't get home until late Sunday.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams