Monday, November 04, 2013

My Favorite Scene

Hey, guess what?! It's almost winter. Yeah, I'm thrilled too. And in honor of the impending cold and cloudy days and snow (at least in the parts of the continent where we get those things), I'm presenting the book, "The Snowy Day" by Ezra Jack Keats.

My whining about winter aside, I loooove this book. I love the magical words; I love the comforting art. I love Keats for featuring a little African American boy at a time when it was rarely done. This was one of the first books I read in English (after immigrating to Vancouver when I was 8) and it will always bring me back to those simpler times when I actually liked snow and I didn't have to think about things like paying the mortgage.

Granted, overall, I prefer to be an adult than a child, but despite the feeling of a lack of control and a general helplessness of being young and powerless, I still miss my youth sometimes (if only for the fact that my joints didn't ache then).

But I digress...here's the video for November!
Have you ever read The Snowy Day? If so, is it as magical for you too?

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams