Monday, July 28, 2014

Handmade Beauty Box and a garden update

Yes, I used to make soaps: sushi soaps (+ pickled ginger and wasabi soaps) circa 2008
A number of years ago, I used to make novelty soaps, so I was reading the Soap Queen blog religiously. But, then, I had to make time to focus on writing, and stopped soaping, though I made some good friends in that community.

One of those wonderful friends is Michelle (Within the Hive) whose post about Soap Queen/Bramble Berry's newest venture, Handmade Beauty Box: DIY Delivered, I saw on Facebook.

Handmade Beauty Box: DIY Delivered is a brilliant idea that I've been waiting for. I love trying out craft projects with kits and wished there were kits for making my own skincare and beauty products. They must have read my mind. :)

Anyway, Soap Queen held a giveaway contest asking for suggestions on what people would like to see in these kits, as well as to vote for a new logo, and I was one of two lucky ducks to win a three month subscription!

The first kit will be shipped in December and I can't wait! I'll post about the packages and also my results (hopefully, I won't embarrass myself too much), so be sure to check in and you can laugh (with me, not at me, right?) at my attempts. In the meantime, go check out Handmade Beauty Box at Facebook, Twitter, Intagram, and Pinterest to see if it might be something you would like to do!

* * *
It's the end of July (ACK!!) and time to start preparing for the fall garden. Here are a few fall crops that hubby planted.
from front to back: gai lan, rutabaga, and kohlrabi
Chinese cabbage
malabar spinach - a first for us
There is plenty to harvest now though.
4 different kinds of basil: sweet, Genovese, Thai, and lime
about 80 heads of garlic
ginormous onions
harvested yellow onions; red and storage onions to come
 And look what else is growing in our garden...
3 little Song Sparrow eggs
How's your summer harvest? Do you plant fall crops?

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams