Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Chicken and dumplings, east coast style

There are a couple of different version of chickens and dumplings that I know of. One has a biscuit-like topping (biscuit in the American sense, not the British sense), and the other is sometimes called "slippery dumpling" and is really pretty a noodle. The latter is the one I grew familiar with when I lived in DE for three years. This is the recipe hubby grew up with since he's from DE.

The recipe is super simple but oh so tasty!



Dumpling noodles

2 C flour
1 t salt
2 T shortening
2/3 C water

Mix flour and salt together. Add shortening and mix with fingers until crumbly. 

Add water a bit at a time until the dough turns into a ball.

Roll out into 1/8" thickness and cut into one inch wide strips and those strips into 2.5" long noodles. Slip those into the boiling broth. 
We like to add peas into the chicken broth with the noodles for a bit of veggies and color. Mmmm!





"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams